I think the sense of befuddlement and/or amusement I get from people is one of the things that keeps me going sometimes. Certainly not to say I'm in any way smarter or better than most of the world, (I'm anything but), however just, I don't know, the way people are just makes me smile inwardly.
Obviously rounding up over $15k in readies isn't always going to be a picnic, however, with all things being good in the universe, I try to have a sort of framework in place, that lets me run the site when needed and implement protocols to make it run well. I know a lot of poker players just rock up to an event in yesterday's clothes with a few buy-ins and simply see what happens, but obviously with a semi-planned schedule, and a modicum of admin involved, it pays to be at least a bit organised.
"What does all this have to do with anything?" I hear you thinking (or maybe screaming at your PC right now). I'll try to explain. People, it has become apparent to me after years of knowing a few, are...weird. plain and simple, especially when it comes to basic tasks. For my trips to play events, though now pretty much second nature to me, there's still a bit of legwork involved. Said stuff can include (but not be limited to):
- Finalising share percentages
- Booking flights
- Sending quotes
- Collecting payments
- Sending share confirmations
- Converting various currencies, both online and in person
- Booking rental cars
- Managing the website
- Arranging accommodation
- Dealing with enquiries and changes of plan
- Meeting with investors personally
- Checking casino schedules, which are prone to change
- People asking how much they need to pay, when they could simply look at their quote, and see the amount written down in black and white
- People emailing, or messaging me on Facebook/Skype/Whatsapp/etc asking other info which is clearly displayed up on the website
- People confirming the required shares, then basically saying "oh, is it OK if I chase the plane up the runway and pay you 30 seconds before you're ready to leave in two months?"
- People explaining to me how I could better run my own website and trip schedules, despite having never actually done it before themselves
- Sending funds to completely the wrong bank account
- Trying to haggle with me over prices
This is of course, mostly tongue in cheek. It's not even a rant, but it does raise a wry smile. I know just about 100% of my investors personally, and to a man or woman they are all good guys and gals. I would certainly not presume to bite the hand that feeds me. I do just wonder at times how the most basic jobs are made more difficult for the silliest reasons?
People are quirky. I have one investor who always pays me in dollars despite being English and living in London. This is good as it saves me a job converting, but they will also request meeting me at the weirdest times or in the oddest places, despite having a pretty clear schedule themselves normally. Another has a very small share percentage, but whatever the amount, always wants to pay in instalments and at the very last minute for the balance. A third will vanish for weeks or months on end, and I will need to practically divert and bang on the door as I'm leaving for Gatwick in order to collect the share money. Another will always message me on Facebook for updates whilst I'm playing in an event, despite me a) not having Facebook Messenger installed, and b) me subtly saying "read the sodding updates on the website please". Another will ask what event I'm going to play in that day, without fail, when the website update title is normally the name and buy in of the event!
I'm smiling as I write this. I've known most investors a long time, and they'd all tell you I'm pretty flexible, helpful and accommodating when it comes to requests and bumps in the road. People have their ways, habits and oddities, me included (dear God yes). I just always giggle at how bloody odd some of you are. I think if it were any other way, life would be a lot less interesting :)