However I'm faced with a choice today. I'm not someone who simply rolls up and plays any event regardless of the number of total entrants, the value to be had, or any number of other factors. Fine, you might sit down and get hand after hand ruined (thus far this trip has been a good illustrator of that), but the intelligent choice sometimes is whether to sit down at all.
A number of wealthy/sponsored/backed/simply unconcerned individuals will just turn up and play, even if there are 12 players, and that of course is their prerogative. For some guys, playing Champagne Charlie in poker with other people's money is second nature. I won't. Some events like the 1/4 million guaranteed $550's are no-brainers based on past experience, as of course are every WSOP event in the summer, where the fields are always huge and the value is effectively guaranteed. But with a $1k out of season I'll take it on its merits once I arrive. I don't like to think I'm giving myself or any investors bad value by just diving into anything, and as I've always stated, out in the field as it were, people simply have to trust my judgement that I'll do the right thing based on the situation. I think that say, $1k invested with a total prize pool of $30-$50k isn't terribly great value with a condensed field of better players all fighting over maybe a 12-15x return on their money, but hopefully the numbers today will be a lot better, and my decision far easier to make. The main factor for me currently is number of players, and I really hope they do well but I'm just unsure right now... I really don't know. The $1k is a 1pm start as opposed to the normal noon. Currently they have only 24 signed up, so I'm holding off right now. To be continued.
OK, this is me continuing.
I've decided not to play it. It's possible that another 125 players will filter in during the next few hours, or the bustouts from the $550 still being played in the room might sign up, making the prize pool more attractive, but my gut feeling is that the $1k numbers are going to be low so I've decided against putting $1070 of mine and investors money into this. There's another $300 tomorrow, plus a $550, plus some sats for the $2k which is certainly worth playing on a cheap ticket so still things to play. I just don't think today is going to be good value for us. Of course any investment money including mark-up for this event is returned in full. Some may agree with my decision not to play, some will rather I had, but I hope all will respect the reasoning behind me not taking part. Feel free to let me know either way.
Roll on tomorrow.
Footnote: they ended up with 71 players, paying just 7 places. Obviously winning it would have been nice. For me the decision not to play ended up being the right one. Others may disagree.